It’s Disability Awareness Month! Here’s What’s Happening Near You This October
In late summer of 1945, as World War II was coming to an end, President Harry S. Truman officially designated the first week in October as National Employ the Physically Handicapped Week. As awareness increased over the years, the annual week-long campaign turned into a month-long crusade to bring light to the struggles those with any type of disability face when looking for employment. This October, the tradition continues with events and activities across the nation. Take a look below to see how you can advocate and celebrate in your area.
- October 6 | Annual Ability Ball | Mesa, AZ
- October 13 | Walk-N-Roll with SBA of Central California | Visalia, CA
- October 19–21 | Weekend Program for Challenged Athletes | La Jolla, CA
- October 20 | Walk-N-Roll with SBA of Southern California | Costa Mesa, CA
- October 21 | Aspen Medical Products San Diego Triathlon Challenge | San Diego, CA
- October 25 | DRA’s 25th Anniversary Gala | San Francisco, CA
- October 1–31 | UCSD Disability Awareness Month | San Diego, CA
- October 20 | Walk-N-Roll with SBA of Georgia | Tampa, FL
- October 7 | Walk-N-Roll with SBA of Georgia | Sosebee Cycling Park White, GA
- October 16 | Disability in Song, Dance, Sign, and Poetry | Dekalb, IL
- October 27 | Assistive and Accessible Technology Workshop at the Library | Dekalb, IL
- October 6 | Walk-N-Roll with SBA of Iowa | Des Moines, IA
- October 6 & 13 | Walk-N-Roll with SBA of Kentucky | Various locations
- October 6–7 | ASP Rio Grande Balloon Fiesta Kayak | Albuquerque, NM
- October 20 | Walk-N-Roll with SBA of the Carolinas | Charlotte, NC
- October 5 | Center Experience | Tulsa, OK
- October 21 | Trunk or Treat | Fargo, ND
- October 21 | Heady Trotter 4 Miler Race | Stowe, VT
- October 7 | Walk-N-Roll with SBA of Virginia | Virginia Beach, VA
- October 19 | An Evening of Celebration | Seattle, WA
- October 20 | Annual Ski Ball Gala Auction | Seattle, WA
Plan Your Own Event!
Don’t see an event near you on our list? Make sure to check with local organizations to see what’s planned in your region. If you still don’t find anything, why not plan an event yourself? Check out the University of Washington’s guide on How to Plan Disability Awareness Events for some tips on putting together a successful happening. Now, gather up some friends and advocates and get out there and show your community what you’re capable of!
Betsy Bailey has a diverse background including experience in marketing research at American Express, business operations and client relations with 601am, travel and culinary writing with VegDining, and playing volleyball professionally overseas.
Betsy is excited to get back into writing, something she’s adored since childhood, and thoroughly enjoys the process of getting to know her interviewees. On top of her work with Wheel:Life, she also teaches students learning English as a second language, speaks French fluently, and travels any chance she gets!